Welcome to Healthy Soccer Kids!
Signs That Your Child is Being Bullied
Despite increased awareness, bullying continues to be a problem with youth. In fact, a 2015 report by the National Center for Education Statistics showed that about one out of every five students ages 12-18 say they have been bullied.
Bullying can have long-term effects on a child’s self-confidence that can lead to social issues later in life. Here are five warning signs that your child may be a victim of bullying:
- Your child starts making excuses to skip school or practice.
- You notice ripped clothes and unexplainable cuts and bruises.
- Behavioral issues become a constant at home, school or on the field.
- Your child can’t concentrate on studying and there’s a drop in academic or athletic performance.
- Your child isolates him or herself from friends and loved ones.
Ultimately, the best way to find out if your kids are bullied is to talk openly with them about it. Chances are if you talk with them in a calm manner and show them you’re just there to listen, they will eventually open up to you.
Remember, don’t discount what your kids are going through – talk your kids through it, join a support group and let administrators at the school or sports program know what is going on.